Sunday, April 20, 2008

Author Emails!

So, I emailed David Almond, the author who I completed my "author study" on....and he emailed me back!

Here is what I emailed him...
Dear Mr. Almond, My name is Jeana Sigmon and I am a junior, Secondary English education major at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina (USA). I am taking World Literature for Children this semester and we have to do an "author study." I have chosen, and completed, mine on you. While deciding who to complete my study on,my professor recommend that I read "Skellig." After doing so, I was so captivated! I loved the story so much that I continued reading. So far, in four weeks, I have read "Skellig," "Kate, The Cat and The Moon," "Secret Heart," "Kit's Wilderness," "Heaven's Eyes," and I am beginning "Counting Stars." I have never read anything like your works before. Since I am going to teach high school English next year, your books have really helped build my repertoire. Not only can males easily connect with your blurred magical/real life happenings, but females can easily get pulled in. Each of your books have wonderful elements that I will discuss with my future classes. I would love to have a unit planned around you and your works. I just wanted to THANK YOU for writing such thoughtful, imaginative pieces of literature. You have actually made me pause, and think about the everyday occurrences that I dismiss everyday. I read in one of your interviews that you do not claim to write fantasy, but instead you are a realist. You went on to say that the everyday world can be magical for children. I did not realize that I forgot this. How sad! Thank YOU for helping me realize this. Without imagination, this world can be a very boring place. I have attached the brochure that I completed on you and your works for my "author study" project. I also completed a visual display on "Skellig" and "Secret Heart," as well as a powerpoint on you. I look forward to reading "Savage" and all of your other works I have not gotten to yet. I am sure they will be just as enjoyable. Thank you for taking your time to read this, Jeana Sigmon

And here is what I heard back....
dear Jeana
thanks so much for your kind words about my work - and for doing your author study on me. Great to know that my work is being used so creatively so far from home! I've tried to download the attachment, but I can't for some reason. If there's another format you could send it in - a simple Word file maybe - then I might be able to. But don't worry if you can't. It's nice to hear from you. Good luck with your teaching. say hello to your students from me!
All best
David

So...I sent him another email (re-attaching the brochure).....

Dear Mr. Almond, Oh wow! Thank you so much for responding! You have no idea how much that means to me! You are so kind. I also wanted to let you know that I just finished "My Dad's A Birdman." I loved it! I think that is such an amazing book! I look forward to reading more books that are accompanied by graphics (Savage). I have re-attached the brochure. You should be able to open it now. I hope it depicts you the way you would hope. Thank you and take care, Jeana Sigmon

Now I am waiting to hear from him! I will let you know!

Here is a picture of him...Isn't he a doll?

2 comments:

Erin said...

That is so cool that you actually received a response from him! He must be a really good person to respond to the plethora of e-mails he probably receives. That's exciting!

B. Frye said...

Oh yeah!!! This is amazing!!! I am so excited for you Jeanna. You must save this! Great news!