Monday, April 7, 2008

Nonfiction Texts

Assignment: Blog about your impressions of nonfiction texts. What do you think about these kinds of books? How do you think children will respond to these types of books?

Personally, I really enjoy most nonfiction texts. However, there are some I could pull my hair out trying to read. I think the layout of informational texts has a lot to do with how well it is read and enjoyed (by myself, anyways.) Informational text is a great way to get lots of information, fast! A lot of the times it can be fun too, for example "Actual Size" is a fun book to use with small children...and even older ones. Since I will be working with high schoolers, I think they could easily have negative feelings about informational texts. Many of the nonfiction texts highschoolers work with are text books or encyclopedias in the library. I have read some great adolescent literature books that are nonfiction. This would be a great way to change student opinions. I guess in these kinds of situations, you just have to find new ways around things.

No comments: